4.15.2013

Everything's bigger...

In Austin, Texas!!

I was able to take a short getaway with a friend to explore the wild, wild west ;) It was my first trip to Texas and they even let me in without any cowboy boots on!

Austin has become all the rage, so I figured I should check it out before the weather turned 115 degrees there this summer. We really didn't have an agenda, but we did know that some good food would be had. And Austin, my friends, is foodie heaven! Perfect patio weather, margaritas, and authentic tex-mex will make any girl happy. We arrived and ventured to South Congress (SoCo) which was a cute touristy area, but the locals hang there too. It happened to be the weekend of their annual hot rod show so that was fun to see! We grabbed some food and after wandering decided to take a seat outside and listen to some good, 'ole music at Guero's Taco Bar. I also had some other friends in town, so that night we decided to check out Rainey Street and then 6th street, both hot spots for night life. We had a fun evening and my favorite spot was a little hidden gem called Midnight Cowboy. A private room and a specailty cocktail menu!? YUM!

After speaking with some locals, we decided our Sunday brunch spot would be Maria's Taco Xpress. Man, what an awesome decision! This place was as unique as they come and you could tell it was good from the line out the door. The food was delicious! They also have 'hippie church' every Sunday so of course we had to stay and experience that. Let me tell you, it was an experience, but a great one!! So fun! There aren't a lot of touristy spots to see, but if you visit be sure to check out the Driskill Hotel and the Texas State Capital. Both are absolutely beautiful! We also were able to hear some wonderful musicians at The Continental Club. A def must is to find the live music somewhere while you're in Austin!

My friend left before me so I got my walk on and explored the city alone on Monday. The weather was nice and I always enjoy seeing the local community and the neighborhoods. I also had planned to check out Elizabeth Street Cafe which is vietnamese and got rave reviews. It was the cutest, and the food was awesome too! I had the best cocktail too. Perfect, relaxing day :)

Austin definitely has a 'Texas' flavor to it, but it's not those dusty roads that I used to associate with the state. The people were really friendly and it seemed like a fun, relaxed city.

Giddy up, folks!



No comments:

Post a Comment